Alien queen Kora has a problem as vast as the endless crimson deserts. She’s the first female ruler of her territory in generations, but her people are rioting and call for her violent younger twin brother to take the throne. Despite assassination attempts, a mounting uprising of nomadic human rebels, and pressure to find a mate to help her rule, she’s determined to protect her people from her brother’s would-be tyrannical rule.
Eros is a rebel soldier hated by aliens and human alike for being a half-blood. Yet that doesn’t stop him from defending his people, at least until Kora’s soldiers raze his camp and take him captive. He’s given an ultimatum: be an enslaved bodyguard to Kora, or be executed for his true identity—a secret kept even from him.
When Kora and Eros are framed for the attempted assassination of her betrothed, they flee. Their only chance of survival is to turn themselves into the high court, where revealing Eros’s secret could mean a swift public execution. But when they uncover a violent plot to end the human insurgency, they must find a way to work together to prevent genocide.
About the Author:
Ava Jae is a writer, an Assistant Editor at Entangled Publishing, and is represented by Louise Fury of The Bent Agency. Her YA Sci-Fi debut, BEYOND THE RED, is releasing March 2016 from Sky Pony Press. When she’s not writing about kissing, superpowers, explosions, and aliens, you can find her with her nose buried in a book, nerding out over the latest X-Men news, or hanging out on her blog (http://avajae.blogspot.com/), Twitter (https://twitter.com/Ava_Jae), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AvaJae), tumblr (http://avajae.tumblr.com/), Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/9011987.Ava_Jae), Instagram (https://instagram.com/ava_jae/), or YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/bookishpixie).
- “It was so easy for me to hate her when she was the face of a faraway force we had to run from. When she was one of them – the Sepharon who enslaved us. When she didn’t make me laugh, and she didn’t trust me with her life, and she didn’t turn to me when she felt lost. Now I don’t know what to think. But even if I wanted to, I wouldn’t be able to hate her anymore.”
- ” My brother just killed me. Again. I know because I wake with a knife to my throat and the cool barrel of phaser pressed to my forehead. Good morning to you too.”
- ” A blast of warm wind slaps my face with chalky scarlet sand. Powder coats my tongue and absorbs the moisture in my throat, turning cold and muddy in my mouth.”
- ” Someone scream and I’ve got seconds before they execute me like a rabid animal.”
- “We’ll be with you wherever the stars reach, Esta told me once with the softest of smiles”